What is “emotional intelligence?” And why does your child need it?
The dictionary defines it as “the capacity to be aware of, control, and express one’s emotions, and to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically.”
Which is a pretty good definition. But what does that look like in real life?
Let’s take a look at what emotional intelligence can do for your teen, at various life stages:
For teens, it looks like:
- being a good friend and classmate, even to those with whom your teen might not always see eye to eye.
- being smart about with whom to get into a car or enter a dating relationship.
- being respectful of your parents, teachers and coaches–even in times of discipline.
For college students, it looks like:
- managing schoolwork, friendships and relationships successfully.
- not making rash or dangerous decisions involving dating, drinking and driving, drugs, or even hazing activities.
- navigating roommate relationships in a healthy manner.
For adults, it looks like:
- being respectful of and respected by a boss and coworkers.
- being smart with money and time.
- making good decisions regarding relationships and family.
And the list goes on.
This is why it’s so important for your teen to develop emotional intelligence now.
College Liftoff is partnering with Emotionally Intelligent Life, LLC Founder Elina Greiff to put on a workshop designed to teach your teen emotional intelligence. All teens will benefit from this workshop that will improve their people skills and success navigating situations they will face in life.
“How to Have an Emotionally Intelligent Life” is a five-part series that begins March 19 at the College Liftoff offices. The workshop is FREE for all College Liftoff clients; there is a fee for non-clients. Reserve your spot today!
For information about becoming a College Liftoff client, just drop us a line.
College Liftoff is Ohio’s premier college planning firm. Since 2009, College Liftoff has helped hundreds of teens find their best-fitting colleges and career paths, while saving their families more than $30 million in higher education costs.
College Liftoff’s motto is “securing your son or daughter’s brightest future…and saving you thousands of dollars along the way.” Let them do the same for you.
Call 614-329-6633 or visit collegeliftoff.com.